A Cab Back to Home - 7th Dec'21

 

A cab back to home…

 

I booked a cab back to home and started to speak with driver while making myself comfortable on the seat.

Me: My OTP is XXX.

Driver: Ma’am say it again XXX.

Me: Its XXX

Driver: Is it XXX

Me: Yes, you are right… After a while I thought and blurted..oh I am really sorry. I knew the number in Hindi. I was saying in English.

Driver: I am driver. How will I understand English immediately Ma’am. Still, I managed to learn the numbers.

Me: I can understand

He asked: Where are you from? No one here talks so politely.

I am from Chennai.

I love people from Chennai.

How come? Have you been there?

Let me tell you the story..

10 years ago, I worked for a Ma’am who was just like you. I have never met such a kind person ever in my life.

At that point in time, people paid roughly INR 8500 per month to a driver. Ma’am paid the same. As she learnt more about me. She started paying INR 16,000 per month. Almost for 2 years, she paid the same. One day, she got transferred back to her hometown – Chennai.

She asked me if I could come along. Adhoc travel or other expenses, she’d manage. Though I was driving in Delhi with a family in UP (Uttar Pradesh), I can’t travel that far. Also, as South Indians mainly eat rice and fish, being a Brahmin, I wouldn’t have managed there.

No Uncle, not all South Indians eat fish. But, yes they eat rice and dishes made up of rice.

Yes Ma’am, I can’t eat idli and all daily. I have to rely on outside food. Can’t cook.

Nonetheless, she gave me 3 months pay in advance while leaving. She left Delhi in the rainy season. In that season, no one gets the job easily. No one leaves the job during that time of year as every cabbie gets good pay during rains.

After going back, she used to call me and ask whether I got the job or need more money. How can I ask her for more?

Then, why are you not in touch with her now. You have even forgotten her name.

Once, it so happened, in a traffic like this, coincidently, I was talking to her when the car had to be halted in the middle of the road. Someone drove past hurriedly on bike in the opposite road snatching the phone from me. I couldn’t get that number back at that point in time. So, lost the touch with her. The South Indian names are too hard to remember. Cant recollect howsoever hard I try.

I saw outside the window and traffic was lining up in the nearby lane. Ours was fairly going smooth. Got curious and asked why is it so when we are travelling in the same direction.

Ma’am, we are in service line and don’t worry about traffic. We’ll bypass it through another road. You’ll reach home early.

We moved on a patchy road cutting amidst thick forest one side and old houses on the other side. I got scared. Is it safe to move on this path?

Ma’am ji once a passenger is in my car, you are my family. Don’t worry. I am not that kind of a person. I lived a good life as a wealthy person. The goodness in me made me poor.

Sorry Uncle ji. I am new to this place and got scared.

At that time, we hit the main road where there was no traffic block. The car moved freely.

Let me tell you what happened.

In 1990s, I had 3 shops. Earnt INR 35000 every day. Saved money and bought a plot to build house in the same market area. I occasionally drank after close of business and went straight to home. I have 4 kids – 3 boys and 1 girl. Lived with my wife and kids in a rented house.

On one fateful day, I drank a little and returned home around 10:00 pm. My wife and kids were in village. The house owner's kids – a boy and a girl ran towards me. Their family was being beaten by 20 men. One man pulled the boy, lifted him up and threw on the ground. I couldn’t stand it. Ran to home to get something to scare them away. I took a bat lying near the gate. With that, I thrashed thrice on that man’s head with all my might. He fell dead on the spot. The rest of them ran away. I managed to get the family as well to the hospital.

Had to sell everything that I owned to bail me from that situation. The dead man was son of a big shot. All I wanted to do is save those kids. Now, to earn a livelihood, I have become a driver.

How bad? You saved them. They should’ve helped you to get out of this.

Yes that’s true. That girl was married few years back. She introduced me to her husband and in laws profusely thanking me and said that without me none of her family members would’ve lived to see this day. I don’t want anything more that that gesture. I was the happiest man.

Not only for her, but I am intolerant if something wrong happens to any girl.

Yes Uncle. You could’ve lived rich. But, without a regret and guilt all your life. Now, you can sleep with peace. I have never faced this kind of gruesome situation. Maybe, never saw things beyond work and home mostly.

In city, people would close their doors if something of this sort happens right in front of their eyes. I am from village. Can’t just close eyes and move on.

I was now nearing home.

He started to say..

Once I and my 3 sons were travelling in a bus. In the seat just opposite to me, an old Sadhu baba (saint) was seating near the window. He must be in his 80s with a young daughter beside him. Right next to her, a rugged man was sitting. He was misbehaving with her. Their men were sitting in the aisle seats of their front and back seat as well. This guy was taking out a bundle of note and counting it again and again by taking out from one pocket and keeping it in another one. After some time, I saw him touching her here and there. I couldn’t tolerate more. Indicated my sons to pounce on him as soon as I hit. I jumped on him and started to beat. The girl wailed and shouted to beat him - maro maor !! Everyone in the bus beat them and handed over to the police.

I reached home.

He said: 98% of people are like me. Its just 2% of them who spoil the name of all of us.

I couldn’t have agreed more.

 

  - Saranya

 

Comments

  1. Appreciated Saran, Any part of the world we should carry humanity

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, humanity still exists.. Loved the narration.. Keep writing not everyone can put words to life....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep writing Saranya... Nice blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes. A man who protects the other woman in the most powerful person

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Duped on the name of Patanjali

The Hair-loom

Hope