Cast, Creed and What not ?

 

Caste, Creed and What not!!! Indian Stereotypes

 

I am proud to be an Indian and I love my India.

 

Thanks to Dad’s transferable job and I have been to many places in India. I met people from all wakes of life during my school and college days.

 

At the outset, we say that India depicts unity in diversity. The stereotypes portrays vice versa.

 

Indians hate Indians for different reasons - regions, caste, creed, gender, languages, dialects, religions, colour and what not. Every factor of diversity breaks us and breeds hatred. But, Indians love India more than anything else and that’s what unites us.

 

When I was young, I never knew that KGF (Kolar Gold Field – my birthplace) is in Karnataka as all of them speak in Tamizh. Earlier, I didn’t know the difference between Tamizh and Kannada script. For me, everything written in other languages except Hindi and English seemed to be Jalebi. My mother tongue is Tamizh, so I believed that KGF was in Tamil Nadu and everyone called me Madrasi. In North India (North/East/West), all the South Indians (Tamil, Telugu, Kannadiga, Malayali) are Madrasi.

 

I completed my schooling till 10th Standard from Rajasthan. When I went to Jadugoda (Jharkhand), people used to laugh and make fun of my Hindi. Not because it was worst, but because it was in its purest form - imported from Rajasthan. People said why the hell you say ‘mein mein’ like goat. They say ‘hum’ for ‘mein’. ‘Mein’ in Hindi means I and hum means ‘we’. I cried almost everyday and wished to go back to Rajasthan or anywhere else in the world. I love to talk and when I wasn’t allowed to speak much because of my own Hindi, I used to get depressed.

Now I think, suppose if I was brought up in Jharkhand and then, went to Rajasthan. There are ample chances that people might not have accept me as one among them because of different slang of Hindi.

 

In Jharkhand I had no one to speak with me in Tamizh except Maa and Dada (Mum and Dad). My best friend was Telugu. So in school, bus or wherever we met, we used to speak in Telugu. My school friends never knew that I am Tamizhan. They were all aghast when I revealed that I am not Telugu. They were like – why did you learn Telugu when its not your mother tongue and how can you leave Tamil and choose Telugu to converse. In India, you have to love to communicate in your mother tongue alone.

Wherever I went, I had to explain people that I learnt Telugu from my neighbors in Rajasthan and improvised by conversing with Telugu friends

At some point in time, Hindi became my mother tongue as I was brought up in North India.

 

When I spoke in Telugu outside Andhra, people immediately connected and loved to have long conversation. When I did the same in Andhra, they mocked. The same is for Tamil. I am surviving without mockery mostly with Hindi and English J

Due to this. Sometimes I stick only to Hindi or English to converse. When I did this in Andhra, people said she is so arrogant. Even if she knows Telugu, she’ll not talk in Telugu ….Tamilians are just like that…blah blah

 

This mockery hinders a person to openly learn other Indian languages.

 

Moving on to the next factor – Food.

In Jharkhand, there is another word for South Indians i.e Khatta for boy and Khatti for girl. In Hindi Khatta or Khatti means sour. South Indians love tangy or slightly sour taste in their food. People in Jharkhand assumed that only sour tasting food is consumed or prepared by South Indians. Hence, the name khatta/khatti.

 

Rajasthani and Andhrites like more chilli in their food. Tamil Nadu people prefer slightly bland taste. Punjabis love spice and so on. North Indians prefer roti (Indian bread) and South Indians prefer rice. So its natural that if a person from one state has to stay in another place for long and has to depend upon local food, he/she may starve or curse the food.

 

In India whosoever you may be, people will like you if you are fair as we believe fair means beautiful and good. Even if people don’t know you, they’ll at least talk to you.

 

Muslim, Hindu or Christian whosoever that may be, we mingle with everyone for namesake mostly. When it comes to real bonding, we still stay aloof. An Indian Hindu family will never ever agree happily for their offspring’s marriage with a person belonging to another religion. People are ready to do honour killing or force the couple to stay away from their community.

 

On the contrary, one of my friend, who was very much proud to belong to Reddy caste (A Hindu caste of Andhrites), finally ended up in loving a Muslim guy. Love makes people to forget anything.

 

There is one thing common among us is that we never mind our business. We love to connect with people and make them one among us. How someone talks, wears a dress, follows a religion – we mind everything and get annoyed by everyone who does it.

The only thing that stops us from this is unavailability of time. Nowadays, in cities hardly anyone bothers. In a way, its good that in cities people don’t give importance to trivial issues and have broad mind. In another way, the very essence of rural India is getting lost where people live with and live for the people surrounding them.

 

People in India are always interested in your background  - religion, caste, professional career of parents/spouse, children, salary and so on. Your merits might come last.

If mudaliyar (Its a Tamil caste) meets Mudaliar in Tamilnadu, they are happier than meeting any other caste. If any Tamil person of any other caste meets in other state or country, they are the happiest people. This is the same case with any other caste of people in any part of India. People of same caste have all rights to mock at people of another caste. It doesn’t matter whether people of same caste speak different language or same language.

 

In India, there is different treatment, rule, tradition etc for a girl and a boy. For example, many people believe that a girl should only wear an ethnic dress (sarees or salwar-kamiz), especially after marriage. Whereas a boy can wear anything he pleases. The situation is pathetic for a transgender as many people don’t even accept them as human beings.

 

There are similar stereotypes or prejudices or sexism or racism in other countries.

I often wonder why we can’t just see the other person as a human being. I don’t even like the differentiation between human beings from different countries or wherever.

In my opinion, it’s enough to differentiate a human from an animal. Rather being judgmental and effecting others with negativity. A positive aura can be created with peace and happiness.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Duped on the name of Patanjali

The Hair-loom

Hope