Mithun

 

MITHUN

Mithun Chakraborty…. Does that name ring a bell. It does right if you know the song I am a Disco Dancer..

Dad - A huge fan of Mithun. He had that disco dancer T-Shirt in blue with silver lining. When he did put on weight in his 40s, I wore it as my night dress with a pride that I am wearing something that my Dad loved. I still do the same and it feels that I am carrying a part of him with me.

We had a VCR – Video Cassette Recorder and Dad brought movie cassettes on almost every weekend for us to watch together and then go to bed. It was kind of a ritual that I am still following and crave for. At least now we select and watch. In those days, there weren’t many movies and promos. We were always excited to see on Saturdays, what did Dad bring while coming from office.

Dad was too bad in reading and writing any language. One day he said that we are going to watch chaat. I had only eaten chaat and never heard of such movie. It turned out to be Ghaath.

No matter what, he watched all movies of Mithun. For him the movie title or storyline was nowhere important. He just wanted to watch it for Mithun. I distinctly remember a movie called Kaali Topi Laal Rumal. The name was itself a matter of laughter. We strictly told Dad none of us is going to watch. He was stubborn and we all watched together. Howsoever dumb it was, we’ll sat together to watch it.

Dad hardly knew hero, heroines name. Mithun was someone whose style he adored.

When I was watching Bestseller on Amazon Prime, I was thinking about Dad in all the episodes.

-          Saranya

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Duped on the name of Patanjali

The Hair-loom

Hope