One Movie - Changed it all

 

One Movie - Changed it all

A new place, new people, new language with an old buddy family. I just joined a post-graduation course when we moved to Bellampalli, Andhara Pradesh. We always had Telugu speaking neighbors. So, it was more like a third mother tongue followed by Hindi and Tamil. We were lucky to have Khan Aunty and Uncle in this unknown place. Khan aunty always treated me as her own daughter. Her agony was not having one of her own.

Maa was all alone once I left for college. Somehow, she again took up teaching in a nearby school. Still, my absence was dearly missed. I watched all the action movies with Dad and drama ones with Maa. Rarely, we watched together when both didn’t understand the movie. I was their subtitle and translator.

In due course of time Khan aunty and Maa teamed up to watch movies in the sole theater of the town. They will watch first day first show. Whenever I had holidays, special plans were made. We thoroughly enjoyed watching Maghadhera. Khan aunty never went to theater with uncle. So, did Maa. We planned for a family movie day. It was easy to convince uncle. The difficult or near to impossible was to move Daddy. The onus lied on my shoulder and I did manage to get him along.

We all reached theater on time. Dad was having a scornful face. To lighten him up, Khan uncle said that Saab, it’s a very good action movie. People are giving good reviews. We sat in order Dad, Uncle, Aunty, me and Mummy. The first scene on the movie was obscene. Dad showed his angry bird face. Khan uncle urgently went out to buy popcorn. We just started to munch it and the movie started to drag. Language was pathetic. It was too much for us take in besides we were more worried when my Dad’s boiler would burst. Soon the seating arrangement changed Dad, me, Khan uncle, Aunty and Mummy. The moment it happened, I apologized to Dad. All he said was never ever call me to watch a movie in theater. I didn’t dare to utter anything back. After some time, all I could hear was a snore.

Finally, we all (Me, Mummy, Khan uncle and aunty) smiled and laughed at our plight and the worst movie we ever watched. Once, Daddy dozed off, we had mirchi bajji, ice cream and special pan. It was more like fast food binge than a movie watch. We woke up Daddy only after seeing The END.

The movie was Pravarakyudu. I can never forget this name.

After that many a times, we requested. But, Dad refrained from coming with us.  

It took many years for him to go again for a movie with family. 

 - Saranya

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Duped on the name of Patanjali

The Hair-loom

Hope