iPhone Theft

 

iPhone Theft

8th July’23, Saturday

9:30 am

Location: Parking area, New Delhi

It was a normal Saturday. After many weekends, my husband - Vijay picked up this one for car cleaning. As usual, he started to have call with friend. Wore bluetooth headset to have hands free for cleaning. Out of the blue, the garbage picker came and spoke with him about the car. As son as he left, the call got disconnected on bluetooth. Vijay looked for the phone around. He couldn’t find. He switched on the car’s set which automatically connected the phone bluetooth. But it couldn’t. With no serious expression, he came upstairs to take my phone for searching his. After an hour or so, I was worried. Called up my number from Mummy’s phone.

Vijay’s phone was gone, and he nabbed the garbage picker. I rushed downstairs. People gathered around. We requested the garbage picker if at all he has taken. Vijay had a doubted him and when he was nabbed. The first that he did was to take out his phone and say see I have got only this phone. Vijay didn’t even ask him about the phone.

When he didn’t agree, I called 100. Police inspector reached in 10 minutes. He tried to ask Vijay in Hindi. Vijay fumbled. I came to his rescue.

Inspector: How many years in Delhi?

Me: 4 years

Inspector: Why he didn’t learn?

Me: Mostly, in his office, people speak in English. At home, we speak Tamil.

Inspector: Send him with me. In no time, he will learn.

 Inspector wanted to show off saying that he has learnt Tamil.

Inspector: Kai zala (What happened)

Me: Marathi

Inspector: Sugamano (How are you?)

Me: Malayalam. He gave up.

We came to the garbage picker. The garbage trolley was emptied. But nothing was found in it. The garbage picker was let go.

We hoped that the thief would have been captured in the CCTV. We learnt that only display is not working in real time. Recording must have happened. Tried to connect our computer monitor to see. The password didn’t work. We called the apartment owner to check if it can be seen on his mobile. The video recording was not proper. Still, the last time phone was in Vijay’s hand when he picked the car mat. After that, It showed that the garbage picker spoke with him without touching the car or anything nearby. Phone was not there. We gave up.

In a hurry we bathed and had lunch. It was almost 2 pm when we went to the police station. As soon as we reached the reception, both lady constable and an elderly inspector in mufti asked us the incident. The lady was quite annoying. She said nothing could be done now. What’s gone is gone. There is always a fear for police. So, we didn’t say anything.

We requested for filing the FIR. With the concerned inspector’s permission, we were allowed to do. We learnt that it must be filed online and were directed to an interior room with computers. That was the first time, I saw the real lock ups. Although, they were empty unlike the ones shown in movies. The inspector helped us in filing FIR online. Finally, it was asking for feeding OTP prior submission. In tension, Vijay was giving resend and was trying to submit without clicking verify button after entering OTP. I looked at it and completed the process. Seeing the situation, the inspector spoke with warmth and lightened tension. Vijay was astonished by the warm gesture of police.

Once again, we went to reception to inform that the FIR has been lodged and we will get back with IMEA number to complete it properly. The elderly lady again stared talking with us. We were thinking is she mad. Why she is talking like this. Suddenly, another lady constable asked us if she is our relative. I was nodding no. The lady ran towards the door and wanted to leave. Lady constables stopped her. My curiosity grew and in low voice, I asked what happened. The lady constable, gestured with her hand near the forehead that she is mad. The lady shouted did you call me mad. Constable said no, I was gesturing that I have headache. The lady ran towards me, I was scared. She kept her palm in front of my eyes and said now read it. With henna (Mehandi) pagal (mad) was written. She shouted “Who are others to call me mad, I am mad. Don’t hold me, catch him who made me mad”. That was the first time I saw a mad person. Vijay didn’t understand as it happened so fast, and people were talking in Hindi. I had to explain him. It was a mix of emotions, I was scared the way she shouted, I smiled thinking how it happened and I felt very sad for her situation. Helplessly, we went back home.

At home, Vijay tried to track the last location. It was somewhere near the home. We requested police if we can go there. Police had a logic that it was vast area, we cannot disturb many people without exact detail. Somehow Vijay reached to that location to search. Not knowing where to exactly look for it, he returned. His fried said that the call was on for a longtime and he heard the bike noise as it was speeding.

Yes, the phone was gone with arrival of new one almost immediately from Vijay’s office.

We will be able to find the phone only if someone switches it on.

 After couple of months, he got a call from an unknown number stating that he found an iPhone. On opening, he understood that the phone belonged to Vijay. Though Vijay was skeptical, he got curious and wanted the phone back. The unknown person demanded Rs.2000 for sending it via courier. For proof, he sent the pictures of phone and courier bill. Vijay paid him the sum. After a wait of 2 days, Vijay tried reaching the unknown number multiple times to no avail.

Vijay was angry and amused. How he ended up like this!!

-          Saranya

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Duped on the name of Patanjali

The Hair-loom

Hope