The Monkey Attack

I was brought up in Zawar, a small mines colony in Rajasthan near Udaipur...
There the monkeys( the langur) ruled especially in summer season.

The Monkey attacks - -  -

The monkeys captured all the mango trees (we had 1 in the backyard and 2 in the garden) as soon as the summer begins (in the midst of February). Whenever I had holidays, I played with them after having breakfast. I used to throw some mangoes on them and hid behind the mesh gate. then, they attacked back with plenty in return. Later on I would collect them and save near my bed and have whenever I want to. In summers we were not allowed/able to play in morning/afternoon so it was a good thing to do.

I played the other game as well. This I played sometimes in the afternoon when Dad used to go back to office after having lunch and my elder brother dozes off. I stood in front of the door. Teased the monkey badly or threw something near the monkeys...ran back and hid behind the mesh door. the monkeys used to run behind me and scratched on the mesh...I made all sorts of faces to tease them. In a day, I used to do it only once and never dared to come out before eve.

Other than mangoes, the monkeys savored whatever food stuff we dried under the sun especially - the pappad. There all the aunties(ladies) gathered in a backyard to prepare pappad in bulk for a family which lasted for the whole year. Everyone used to prepare and stay till eve until the pappad gets sun dried. The same procedure is repeated in the backyards of all the families in the colony. This is done in group as the monkey mostly attacks when you are all alone. The monkeys surround the backyard and sometimes jump over. We had to save ourselves and at the same time make them to leave the place. This was fun and the pappads were yummy too....

Once, we went to Chittorgarh, there we bought channa(black gram) to feed the fishes. Dad gave me few coins to buy them. After buying, I was walking back towards my parents. I felt like, someone scratched my back. I turned back and it was the monkey...I threw whatever, I had in my hand and ran away. The monkey ran away with the channa.Next time Bhai (my elder brother) bought it for both of us. I gave mine to Dad to hide in his pocket. Bhai had it in hand.All of a sudden, a monkey jumped on him. He shouted badly that..." its mine..its mine ..I wont give...I wont give.." I was scared..Everyone shouted back .."Akil leave it and come"...Finally, Bhai gave in and left the channa packet with tears. We shared the channa packet that was bought for me and fed the fishes.

On other occasions, they snatched food stuff or scared us. But, still I like to see the monkeys..and would miss Rajasthan for them as well :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Duped on the name of Patanjali

The Hair-loom

Hope