Cycling Wasn't So Easy

Cycling Wasn't So Easy..

My Dad was a Mining Engineer. I completed my schooling till 10th standard in 2 mines colonies near Udaipur, Rajasthan, India - Zawar Mines and Dariba Mines. Both the places were surrounded by Aravali Mountain range.


In Dariba, I started to learn cycling in 5th grade and Dad was the coach – the driver of cycle. It was my brother’s old cycle with which Dad tried to teach me cycling. I used to sit and Dad pushed it. I never pressed the paddle. I just kept my legs on it. Everyday Dad made 2-3 rounds in our lane. Finally, he gave up. Instead of making me to learn, he lost some weight. Maybe I was stealing some time from his busy schedule or I just enjoyed when he pushed the cycle across the lanes.
The next round of learning cycling started in Zawar when I was in 8th grade with my brother’s bigger cycle. This time, I did put some (my own) effort and learnt. But two incidents/accidents occurred.

# 1:
Our home (colony) was on top of a small hill. So, there were many ups and downs (ramps and slides on road).
Dad made me start cycling from top of a small slope so that I need not to paddle initially and just had to balance. Then, apply break and stop the cycle as soon as I crossed the slope. I gradually started paddling.
After few days, one day, Maa called me to come home immediately when I was about to start from the slope. I applied the brake on slope, the cycle toppled. I tore both the knees. I still have the scar on my knees. Those were the most difficult days when my wound was healing as I couldn't bend them for any reason.
 
# 2:
After few months, I started cycling in our lane. Then, I dared to go out of my colony. For that, I had to cross a very steep slope for 200 meters which connected the main road. One has to turn right or left at the juncture to ride on the main road.  The main road was hardly 4 m wide single road where vehicles continuously went to and fro. There was no barricade. On one side of the road, the hills walled with homes in between. On the other side, it was a valley. I made the attempt to cross this slope to hit the road. I Successfully balanced the cycle and turned right. The speed, the gush of air, thrilled me. The next day, I planned to do the same. Alas! I failed. I couldn’t turn right immediately at the juncture and fell on the thorn bushes with cycle on top. My frock was torn here and there. I had multiple scratches on my legs and hands. I was awestruck, for a moment I didn’t realize what happened. If at all, I wouldn’t have gotten struck in the bushes, I might have fallen from the hilltop and landed on the subzi (vegetable) market beneath the hill. Luckily, Elango Uncle was passing by on the road. He worked in one of the office canteens. He helped me to gather myself. Before even helping, he said that please tell Sir that, I helped you. I was not able to speak and was thinking - for God's sake, please help me first. He offered to help me to reach home as well. I thanked him for saving me on time. I was little scared that maybe I'll get scolding for not riding properly. Instead, they heaved relief as nothing happened to me. This time, the wound wasn’t deep. Thanks to my fluffy yellow frock.



Once again, I was back in Dariba. In 9th standard, I got my very own cycle. It was the most beautiful lady bird that I have ever seen till today. It was green and black in colour with small orange and green hearts drawn all over the cycle body. It had semi-circle covering the rear tyre and metal basket in front. I just loved it. 

Some of my school friends were jealous. Not for show off or anything else. I wanted it for riding to nearby villages and explore. I wasn't knowing as the shopkeeper didn't tell. All he said was someone has booked it for buying over the weekend. If you don't by now, I will sell it on this weekend. We didn't delay and bought on a weekday with full payment. Later on, I came to know that it was one of my friends who booked it to buy over the weekend. She got angry on me for this as she really wanted it and offered to buy it from me at a higher price. At that point in time, it was the priceless thing I owned and wasn't ready to let it go. For somedays, she didn't speak properly with me. Then, we had an understanding of our same feeling to own a cycle. Later on, she got a pink with a metal basket. Sometimes we drove together to school and market.

I drove it every day. I fell many times from this as well. Sometimes, I skidded on sand or a thorn punctured it or couldn’t balance it on potholes. I explored nearby villages, parked it near hills that I climbed on holidays, bought grocery, drove for ice creams after coming from school, made small kids to sit in front basket and what not - went everywhere with it. I kept my cycle inside my room.

I parted with it when I finished 12th Standard. Dad gave it to the driver uncle’s daughter. I kept the worn-out semi-circles of the rear tyre in memory of my cycle. Now, don’t know where it has gone. I wish to have one again :)

 - Saranya

Illustrations: Maa (Durga Kulothungan)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Duped on the name of Patanjali

The Hair-loom

Hope